We could say Happy Birthday to the iPhone, but that would be under reporting the news. More important than the iPhone’s 5th birthday is the mobile era it introduced. Phones became more than just voice and messaging devices. They became productivity and entertainment powerhouses that traveled with us everywhere. It also led to the tablet which ensured that the mobile era would be truly transformative for consumers and enterprises alike.
Here are the stats 5 years later:
- Total iPhones sold to date: 250 million
- iPhone estimated revenue: $150 billion
- Smartphones sold to date –
- iPads sold to date: 67 million
- Mobile apps in Apple app store – 550,000
The numbers don’t lie. Of course, they don’t tell the whole story. All of these devices have changed the consumer landscape and are quickly transforming the enterprise as well. Thank you iPhone. You have made the world better.